We’ve all heard of MagicBands by now. Those cute little “Swatch” like arm bands for the Walt Disney World Resort.
Every guest who books an On-Site Walt Disney World vacation package gets a complimentary MagicBand for their stay. Announced on January 7, 2013 they have become an integral part of the Walt Disney World Experience. The original MagicBands Ver1 were created by Frog Design and looked like this:
On November 19, 2016, a new MagicBand design, MagicBand 2, was announced. The new design increased the size of the Mickey head and the circuitry area. This center part, called the Icon, is able to be removed from the rest of the wristband with a special screwdriver and can be placed in other MagicBands or special accessories such as a key-chain
Your MagicBand is your Room Key, Park Ticket, Memory Maker card, FastPass+ Reservations, Dining Reservations and so much more. When you book your trip, you get to pick from one of the 8 colors shown above.
If you like, you can also purchase one of hundreds of MagicBands with specialized designs (such as the examples above) ranging from $20-$45 at the Walt Disney World Resort Shops, Disneystore.com, or the ShopDisney App.
When you receive your new MagicBand(s) there is a small booklet included that tells you all about MagicBands, RF Technology, how the bands work, and what to be careful of. Most guests never look at this little booklet but there could be some important information, especially medical information for a lot of guests.
Here is the little guide book, barely 2 and a half inches square.
Let’s take a quick look inside at some of the information contained…
Information on Your MagicBand and Radio Frequency (RF) Technology
Your MagicBand contains an HF Radio Frequency device and a transmitter which send and receives HF signals through a small antenna inside the MagicBand and enables it to be detected at short-range touch points throughout Walt Disney World Resort. The MagicBand can also be read by long-rang readers used to deliver personalized experiences, as well as provide information that helps us improve the overall experience in our Parks.
Radio Frequency Technology
RF technology is common throughout the world, in everyday items like credit cards, video game controllers, keyless car entry, fitness wristbands, and much more. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has systems and devices using RF technology that are designed, tested, and manufactured to comply with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations. The levels of RF energy generated are similar to those fund in many consumer devices.
If you prefer, you may elect to use an RFcard instead of a MagicBand This card contains a passive HF frequency chip and cannot be detected by the long range readers. To learn more about our privacy and data collection policies, visit MyDisneyExperience.com/privacy
If You Have an Implantable Pacemaker OR Cardioverter-Defibrillator (ICD)
- We encourage you to seek the guidance of the manufacturer or your device and your physician.
- Manufacturers of implantable pacemakers and cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs) typically recommend the following guidelines to avoid potential interference between pacemakers, or ICDs, and RF transmitters comparable to the ones found inside the wristband and in the touch points found throughout Walt Disney World Resort
Persons with Implantable Pacemaker of ICD:
- Should always keep the wristband at least nine (9.0) inches (23 cm) away from their medical device.
- Should not carry the wristband in their breast pocket.
- Should immediately move the wristband such that it is at least nine (9.0) inches (23 cm) from the pacemaker or ICD if thy suspect interference is taking place.
- Should read and follow the directions from the manufacturer of the implantable pacemaker or ICD and/or consult their physician.
Other Medical Devices (Insulin pumps, Neurostimulators, Hearing Aids, etc.)
If you use any other personal medical device, we encourage you to consult the device manufacturer and your physician for information.
For more information, please visit
Once linked to My Disney Experience, your MagicBand is an all-in-one device you can use to:
- Enter Walt Disney World Theme Parks (Valid Theme Park Admission required)
- Access Your FastPass+ Selections – For the first time ever, reserve access to select attractions and entertainment before you enter the Theme Park.
- Connect to Disney PhotoPass Service – Add all of your favorite Disney PhotoPass photos to your My Disney Experience Account
- Enter Your Disney Resort Hotel Room – Access select entry points with just a touch.
- Make Purchases – Securely charge back to your room for food, merchandise and recreation with your MagicBand and a PIN at select locations (Valid photo ID may be required for certain purchases and benefits.)
So enjoy your visit to the Walt Disney World Resort, and take advantage of all the modern conveniences afforded you with your complimentary MagicBands, but also always be aware of any medical issues that sometimes come along with technological advances! And please remember to contact Destinations with Character Travel for planning & booking your next Walt Disney World Resort trip, or any trip throughout the world and Enjoy our Premiere Hassle Free Planning & Booking!
Getting ready to plan your next trip or just interested in travel news?
Please remember to contact Destinations with Character Travel for ALL of your Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and Orlando Area Vacations, Adventures by Disney, Cruising, Tour, and exciting vacation packages all over the world. When booking though Destinations with Character Travel, all of our Disney Services, including FastPass+ and Dining reservation services are completely FREE. Also, you will always have a DEDICATED agent, available to you 24/7 from the very first minute of planning, right up until the day you return home, to answer all of your questions and handle any of your vacation needs.
We believe no one should be denied a vacation based on needs or budget, there’s something for everyone.
- Week of April 4-10, 2021 – These 8 Cruise Lines Announced Restarts For Summer 2021! - April 10, 2021
- runDisney Virtual Series to Honor the Timeless Majesty of ‘The Lion King’ This Summer – Hakuna Matata! - April 6, 2021
- Disney Cruise Line Temporary Suspends Select Departures through September 19, 2021 - April 6, 2021