by Pam Brandon, Food Writer, Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort
We often consider turkey or ham for holiday meals, but you’re looking for a meatless main dish, try this sweet potato gnocchi from Artist Point at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. The fluffy dumplings are paired with rich brown butter and hearty Brussels sprouts and mushrooms.
It take a little time to make the gnocchi (noh-KEE), but the comforting payoff is worth it. You can roast the Brussels sprouts and mushrooms while the dough is resting, and then the dish comes together in minutes.
SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI WITH BROWN BUTTER
SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI
- 2 (12-ounce) sweet potatoes
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 8 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced, for serving
- Aged semi-firm cheese, shaved thin, for serving
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Coarse salt
ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND WILD MUSHROOMS
- 3/4 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
- 3/4 pound mixed wild mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 2-inch cubes. Place in a steamer basket set in a pan with 2 inches water over medium-high heat. Cover pan tightly; steam until tender, about 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Press cooled sweet potatoes through a potato ricer into a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add egg yolk, 2 cups flour, and salt. Stir until mixture holds together as a soft dough, adding more flour if needed, a tablespoon at a time. Mixture should be soft but not sticky.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces and roll each piece into a 1-inch-wide rope. Cut each rope into 1-inch pieces. Roll each piece over the tines of a fork, if desired.
- Place gnocchi on a lightly floured sheet pan and refrigerate 1 hour.
FOR BROWN BUTTER:
- Place butter in a medium heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook until butter is golden brown and smells nutty.
- Keep warm over very low heat.
FOR ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND WILD MUSHROOMS:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss Brussels sprouts and mushrooms with oil in a large bowl.
- Spread mixture on a large sheet pan. Roast until edges are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and keep warm until ready to use.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Working in 3 batches, cook gnocchi 5 to 6 minutes, until cooked through but still tender.
- Combine cooked gnocchi, roasted Brussels sprouts and mushrooms, and enough brown butter sauce to coat in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, tossing gently, until heated through.
- Garnish with sage and a shaved semi- firm aged cheese.
For the latest in Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, Cruise and other travel news, remember to follow the Destinations with Character Travel web site, and “Like” and follow us on Facebook. For additional Disney Fun, Join our Disney Fan Group, Disney Destinations Characters, on Facebook!
Please remember to contact Destinations with Character Travel for ALL of your Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and Orlando Area Vacations, Adventures by Disney, Cruising, Tour, and exciting vacation packages all over the world. When booking though Destinations with Character Travel, all of our Disney Services, including FastPass+ and Dining reservation services are completely FREE. Also, you will always have a DEDICATED agent, available to you 24/7 from the very first minute of planning, right up until the day you return home, to answer all of your questions and handle any of your vacation needs.
We believe no one should be denied a vacation based on needs or budget, there’s something for everyone.
- HAVE IT ALL with Holland America Lines! - September 22, 2021
- ATLAS OCEAN VOYAGES: SPECIAL: FILM LOVERS’ EXTRAORDINARY CARIBBEAN JOURNEY - September 22, 2021
- California Grill Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort With Special Limited-Time Menu - September 22, 2021