The recipe for a great Disney cruise is pretty simple: show up, relax and have fun! But there are some other things you’ll want to make sure you do right so your family can have the ultimate Disney vacation. Take it from me, someone who has cruised many, many times with Disney, here are ten things not to do on a Disney cruise …
- Carry your own luggage onboard. We’ll do it for you! Whether you arrive to the cruise terminal on Disney Cruise Line transportation or in your own vehicle, we offer services that keep you from having to lug your suitcases onto the ship. Just bring aboard a day bag with your personal items, and we’ll deliver your luggage to your stateroom in the afternoon.
- Live out of your suitcase. Our staterooms are designed with families in mind and offer lots of storage space, including a place to tuck away your suitcases. One of the perks of cruising is visiting multiple destinations and only unpacking once, so make yourselves at home on the first day by assigning closet space and drawers to each member of the family.
- Clean your stateroom. As difficult as it may be to break your daily habits, now’s the time to try! Forget about making the bed each morning, and don’t worry about washing your towels and taking out the trash. Our stateroom hosts are there to make your stay as pleasant as possible, and if there’s anything you need, just ask.
- Introduce yourself to your dining servers each night. Your serving team stays with you as you visit different restaurants and enjoy new menus each night. That means only one round of introductions are needed. And chances are their personalized service and hospitality will make your servers unforgettable.
- Miss out on time for yourself. It’s your vacation, too! Activities for families to do together are endless on a Disney cruise, but there’s also no shortage of fun just for adults. The kids clubs are supervised by trained counselors and have the longest operating hours at sea, so there’s no excuse for parents to not take advantage of adult-only dining and other experiences.
- Worry about your kids in the youth spaces. See number five. We have the most extensive youth activity spaces of any cruise line, with age-specific areas and interactive programs to entertain children up to 17 years old. Getting your kids to leave the kids clubs may be the one challenge of your cruise.
- Throw away the Navigator. Your only excuse for tossing this daily activity guide is if you already downloaded the Navigator app on your smart phone. With so many activities happening throughout your cruise, you’ll want Navigator info handy at all times. It gives you the scoop on what’s happening every minute of every day and even categorizes the fun for kids, adults and families.
- Watch our fireworks at sea through your camera lens. This show is so spectacular that it’s completely understandable you’ll want to capture every moment on your camera. Resist the urge and just enjoy the moment! If you take your eyes off the fireworks, it should only be to glance over at the smiles on your family’s faces.
- Head back to the ship for lunch while at Castaway Cay. We’re the only cruise line that docks at its own private island, so it’s easy to go back on the ship throughout your day at Castaway Cay. But if you want to maximize beach time, head to one of three all-you-care-to-eat lunch buffets served under the shade of the island’s covered pavilions.
- Explore destinations on your own. Port Adventures are the best way for your family to have an unforgettable experience ashore. Along with the peace of mind that comes with having all the planning done for you, we offer one-of-a-kind activities that you can only experience through Disney. Many excursions even offer just-for-kids components, so parents have a little time alone.
-Originally published in Disney Parks Blog by Jonathan Frontado,August 26, 2015
Getting ready to plan your next trip or just interested in travel news?
Please remember to contact Destinations with Character Travel for ALL of your Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and Orlando Area Vacations, Adventures by Disney, Cruising, Tour, and exciting vacation packages all over the world. When booking though Destinations with Character Travel, all of our Disney Services, including FastPass+ and Dining reservation services are completely FREE. Also, you will always have a DEDICATED agent, available to you 24/7 from the very first minute of planning, right up until the day you return home, to answer all of your questions and handle any of your vacation needs.
We believe no one should be denied a vacation based on needs or budget, there’s something for everyone.