From Lady and the Tramp to Mickey Mouse’s best pal, Pluto, we love dogs of all shapes and sizes! To celebrate National Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day, we’re sharing two easy recipes which are sure to delight dogs of all sizes—one features peanut butter, bacon and banana; the other parmesan and oatmeal. Both recipes were created by Walt Disney World Resort Chefs for their furry friends at home.
As you can see, these treats were a big hit with Jack, Harvey, Chef Heather’s dogs, Cricket and Chloe, and my dog, Padme!
- 1/4 cup mashed, ripe banana
- 2 cups smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup ground peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped, crispy bacon
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Mix together mashed banana, peanut butter, and honey until smooth.
- Add in flour, wheat germ, and oatmeal. Mixture will become very dry.
- Add water as mixture is combining to help incorporate all ingredients.
- Add peanuts and bacon, making sure they are evenly distributed.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/4”.
- Cut out with your favorite cookie cutter. The size of your dog may help determine the size of the cookie cutter that you use.
- Any leftover dough scraps can be re-formed into a ball and rolled out until there are no more scraps remaining.
Place biscuits on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 20–25 minutes.
- If you would like a crunchier dog biscuit roll the dough out to 1/8”. The baking time will be reduced to 10-20 minutes.
- If you use a large cookie cutter the baking time will be increased to 25 – 35 minutes.
- Biscuits should be used within 5-7 days. They can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 14 days. They can also be stored in the freezer to be saved even longer.
Oatmeal and Parmesan Doggie Biscuits
By Scott Hunnel, Executive Chef of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa and Marianne Hunnel (pictured above with Sandy Sue), Content Development Manager, Walt Disney World Parks & Resorts
Makes about 100 small biscuits
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup dry milk
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tb. sugar
- 6 Tbs melted margarine
- 1 Tbs liquid smoke
- 1 egg
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine whole wheat flour, Parmesan cheese, rolled oats, dry milk, kosher salt, sugar, margarine, liquid smoke and egg in mixing bowl.
- Slowly add water, 1/4 cup at a time until dough is soft and pliable.
- Roll out on floured surface to 1/2 inch thickness, cut into shapes using small biscuit or cookie cutters.
- Bake on lightly oiled cookie sheets for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool before storing in airtight container.
A special thank you to Yellow Shoes photographers Chloe Rice and David Roark for the adorable photos.
- Originally in Disney Parks Blog, by Rachel Bshero, Food & Beverage Marketing Communications Coordinator
Getting ready to plan your next trip or just interested in travel news?
Please remember to contact Destinations with Character Travel for ALL of your Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and Orlando Area Vacations, Adventures by Disney, Cruising, Tour, and exciting vacation packages all over the world. When booking though Destinations with Character Travel, all of our Disney Services, including FastPass+ and Dining reservation services are completely FREE. Also, you will always have a DEDICATED agent, available to you 24/7 from the very first minute of planning, right up until the day you return home, to answer all of your questions and handle any of your vacation needs.
We believe no one should be denied a vacation based on needs or budget, there’s something for everyone.
- Disneyland Resort Phase Reopening and Important Information - June 14, 2021
- AmaWaterways River Cruises – Save with Back To Back Offer! - June 10, 2021
- Voyage to Iceland on A&K’s New Small Ship Cruise ! - June 10, 2021