by Pam Brandon, Food Writer, Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort
You can smell the gingerbread as pastry chefs all across Walt Disney World Resort crank up the ovens to bake thousands of pieces of gingerbread to craft spectacular holiday creations. From a Gingerbread Holiday Castle at Disney’s Contemporary Resort to the life-size gingerbread house in the lobby of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, here’s what you’ll find beginning Nov. 23:
- Already on display is the Gingerbread Holiday Castle at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, nestled in the Grand Canyon Concourse on the fourth floor, inspired by Disney’s blockbuster “Frozen” and a touch of Disney artist Mary Blair’s it’s a small world. Adorned with sugar snowflakes, gingerbread shingles and chocolate-coated trees, guests can spot Anna, Elsa, Olafand more. (Look for the 16 Hidden Olafs.)
- Starting Nov. 16, the biggest creation is the life-size gingerbread house in the lobby of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, made with a classic gingerbread recipe from Austria. And every day except Sunday there are gingerbread house decorating demonstrations in the lobby (and a gingerbread house collectible pin featuring “Alice in Wonderland“). This gargantuan creations is 16 feet high and uses 1,050 pounds of honey, 800 pounds of flour – and it takes more than 400 hours just to bake the gingerbread!
- The American Adventure pavilion at Epcot is an intricate re-creation of the United States Capitol Building debuting Nov. 25 – and, new this year, the Lincoln Memorial joins the vignette. Look for five Hidden Mickeys in the 50 pounds of gingerbread and 20 pounds of icing.
- New at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort is the “Gingerbread Academy” that lets guests build gingerbread houses to take home, along with complimentary hot chocolate and apple cider for sipping. Cost is $125 for up to four guests. If you prefer to decorate a gingerbread cookie, cost is $8.95 per ornament, with proceeds to benefit Give Kids the World. And a chance to work with one of the pastry chefs to create holiday cupcakes is $10.95 per person. Make sure to walk through the lobby to take in the beauty – and delicious scent of gingerbread houses decorated by the pastry chefs of Disney’s BoardWalk Resort.
- A 3-foot-long African-inspired Marketplace graces the lobby starting Nov. 23 at Tusker House Restaurant in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park, a creation made with 23 pounds of flour, 8 pounds of honey, 25 pounds of dark chocolate and 5 pounds of white chocolate, just for starters.
- The Holiday Carousel is back at Disney’s Yacht &Beach Club Resorts in the “Beach-side” lobby. Again this year, the team of chefs has crafted a life-size spinning carousel with 36 pounds of honey, 96 pounds of flour, 100 pounds of icing and more. Look for 17 Hidden Mickeys. The limited-edition collectible pin features Minnie Mouse and the carousel, and there’s also a Disney’s Beach Club Resort holiday pin featuring Donald Duck. Over on the Yacht side, check out the Holiday Village with Miniature Train surrounded by rock candy mountains.
Getting ready to plan your next trip or just interested in travel news?
Please remember to contact Destinations with Character Travel for ALL of your Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and Orlando Area Vacations, Adventures by Disney, Cruising, Tour, and exciting vacation packages all over the world. When booking though Destinations with Character Travel, all of our Disney Services, including FastPass+ and Dining reservation services are completely FREE. Also, you will always have a DEDICATED agent, available to you 24/7 from the very first minute of planning, right up until the day you return home, to answer all of your questions and handle any of your vacation needs.
We believe no one should be denied a vacation based on needs or budget, there’s something for everyone.
- Step Inside & Get Your First Look at a Reimagined Room from Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort at Walt Disney World - March 5, 2021
- New from Ancestry® and Kensington Tours Personal Heritage Journeys – A journey unlike any other, one you will cherish forever. - March 2, 2021
- Great Deal for The Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana! - March 1, 2021